I just came across this note
The probable reasons for the move:
- Great Market for Mobiles and a growing Internet usage
- Cheap talent that can help Cisco compete with Juniper and Huawei technologies.
- Good technical talent - not just cheap!
The immediate future India plans:
-Cisco is setting up a new research and development campus in Bangalore, for which the company has allocated 50 million dollars and which is expected to be completed by June.
-The company already has a R&D center in Bangalore and it has previously announced plans to set up a manufacturing pilot facility in Chennai, which will initially manufacture specific voice technology products for the domestic Indian market.
- Unaffected by the reports about severe shortage of engineers in the country, Cisco is confident of achieving its target to triple its workforce to 6,000 in India in the next three years.
- Cisco has also earmarked 100 million dollar toward venture capital investments in high growth, early stage companies based in India
Those of whom still contemplating to return to India....heres a hint! India is among the top 5 fastest telecom markets and will be soon in the top 3. And just imagine the kind of opportunities that would be thrown up as a result??